3rd Shift Major Machine Operator- Lansing, MI
5800 West Grand River Ave
Lansing, Michigan, 48906
GENERAL PURPOSE: Operate multiple machines to prepare jobs for the next stage or to finish the job for the customers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Sets up and operates cutters, folders and stitcher/trimmer machines.
- Supervises the performance and quality of the product being produced.
- Oversees helpers' performance.
- Performs repairs as necessary.
- Follows safety rules/policies.
- Maintains quality to ensure satisfaction for internal and external customers.
- Familiarizes self with SOP's needed to do every job correctly.
- Performs preventative maintenance on machinery as needed.
- Communicates between shifts i.e. pass information of job to next shift.
- Directs the training and development of helpers.
- Directs the work assignments of helpers.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years' related experience.
- Must be able to read and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers.
- Must be able to write and speak simple sentences.
- Must be able to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondences and memos.
- Must have effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to perform intermediate arithmetic dealing with decimals, fractions, ratios, etc.
- Must be proficient in basic personal computer skills.
- Must have a broad knowledge of various mechanical skills in order to perform day-to-day procedures.
- Must have a broad knowledge of tools used in repairs, maintenance and over all performance requirements of the machinery. Without this broad knowledge and tools, day-to-day operations become bogged down and inefficient. This results in poor performance, delayed job completions and quality issues.
- Must have knowledge of machinery to access problems as they arise.
- Must be able to follow instructions correctly and efficiently.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Must be able to maintain good attendance.
- Must be willing to work overtime as needed.
- Must pass mechanical ability test.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.